A bio-tech company is using congress to find a way to ignore the judicial system. We all learned in grade school about the checks and balances of our government. We have Judicial, Legislative and Executive. All are equal in their power or at least they are supposed to be!
Why should you care and why should you be outraged? I’m going to put this in the simplest terms possible because I believe the government purposely words things in a very confusing and misleading way.
There is a long twisted tale behind Monsanto and Farmers. Essentially Monsanto has patented seeds that are able to reproduce themselves. A farmer bought the seeds under contract with Monsanto. The Monsanto contract states the farmer can not SAVE seeds from the crop essentially requiring them to buy seeds again the next year. Later he was able to buy a mixture of seeds from a grain elevator which happened to contain some Monsanto patented seeds. He planted them and harvested. Monsanto sued him for patent infringement. I come from a long line of wheat farmers but other people might not be knowledgeable of how farms work. A farmer buys seeds, plants them, harvests them, delivers them to a grain elevator to sell. At this point the grain elevator owns the product and sells it how they see fit. The Farmer bought seeds from the elevator which is common practice since the grains can be used for feeding animals, etc. He did not save the seeds from his own crop. The case went all the way to the Supreme Court and on February 19th, 2013 the Supreme Court sided with the Farmer. The Judicial review notes the seeds were approved by the USDA illegally.
Monsanto has now turned around and is attempting to skirt the whole checks and balances of our country. They got a senator to attach a rider (section 735) to the HR 933 bill. The HR 933 bill is all about funding our government through September. The rider has no business being attached to HR 933!! The rider, being falsely named “farmer-friendly” package, would allow the industry to set its own conditions (the ones just deemed illegal by the Supreme Court) to sell biotech seeds. It goes as far as to force the USDA to immediately approve any permits it presents for continued planting at the industry’s request. The USDA is to protect farmers and the environment can it do that if it is at the complete beck and call of a biotech company? I think not!
How does this affect you?
1. Monsanto is aggressively attacking farmers. Farmers who don’t have much money and can’t defend themselves. (See another case involving cross-cross-pollintation which is suing a farmer for the wind blowing the seeds into his field through no fault of his own but a simple act of nature.)
2. You can now be eating GMO foods (unlabeled and unwittingly) which have had very little testing on how they will process in the human body. You are the biotech’s Guinea Pig. Most people would fight the use of animals in product testing. Why shouldn’t we protest uninformed product testing on the population? On children?
3. When will they stop? Say you buy one of their products. For sake of argument, a potato, and you use the potato to plant in your own garden for more potatoes. Suddenly Monsanto is suing you for patent infringement. This is technically what the farmer did in the recent court case. They are trying to patent something humans have been doing for most of their existence – farming!
What can you do?
2. I looked up my Congressman to see if he voted Aye or Nay and then wrote him about my disappointment in his choice.
3. Get informed! Read more! This isn’t the only attack on our food. The government is hurting for money and businesses like Monsanto are right there ready with handouts to get their way. Some of our representatives are power and money hunger willing to be bought. Question everything!!
I don’t believe in one party or the other. I believe in my country. Our country. I don’t want my child’s food to be an experiment for biotech companies unwilling to put in their due diligence or even to follow the simplest part of our government, checks and balances.
Thank you for considering making a difference today.