Henry Ford in 1888 at age 25
– He did NOT invent the automobile or the assembly line BUT he did develop and manufacture the first automobile that many middle class Americans could afford.
– His father gave him a pocket watch and when he was 15 he dismantled and reassembled the timepieces of friends and neighbors gaining the reputation of a watch repairman.
– His father wanted Ford to take over the family farm but Ford despised farm work. He wrote, “I never had any particular love for the farm – it was the mother on the farm I loved.” This is where he and I parted because I LOVE the farm. 😉
– Ford wan and early backer of the Indianapolis 500.
Route to Success:
– Ford started as an engineer with the Edison Illuminating Company in 1891. While there he had time for personal experiments on gasoline engines. He developed a self-propelled vehicle he called the Ford Quadricycle.
– He developed three companies before forming the Ford Motor Company. The second company became the Cadillac Automobile Company when he left.
– The Model T was introduced on October 1, 1908. It was $825($21,650 today) but the price soon fell every year which was Ford’s vision.
Henry Ford with Thomas Edison and Harvey Firestone.
My Take Away:
Ford had tried to have 3 other car companies before he got the company he wanted. He wanted an affordable car. One that was reliable. He wouldn’t compromise his dream. I can appreciate this mindset. I have a tendency to bend my wishes for others.